Do you know your ABCs?
Did you know that heart disease and stroke are two of the leading causes of death in the United States and that heart disease is responsible for 1 of every 4 deaths in the country?
Million Hearts is a national initiative that has set an ambitious goal to prevent 1 million heart attacks and strokes by 2017.
In order to achieve this goal, Million Hearts has set out to promote the awareness of the ABCs (appropriate aspirin therapy, blood pressure control, cholesterol management, and smoking cessation). Million Hearts partners up with private and public health sectors with an aim to prevent heart disease and stroke by:
1) Improving access to effective care.
2) Improving the quality of care for the ABCs
3) Focusing clinical attention on the prevention of heart attack and stroke.
4) Activating the public to lead a heart-healthy lifestyle.
5) Improving the prescription and adherence to appropriate medications for the ABCs.
The Million Hearts Heart Awareness initiative was launched by the Department of Health and Human Services in September 2011. It is a quality improvement effort the health department is working on with many public and private sectors throughout Richland County and will be initiated by the Richland County Action Group.
Stop by the Million Hearts booth to see how well you know your ABCs.