The Roundup -

North Dakota Properties Listed In National Register Of Historic Places

 


A commercial building in Williston and a school in Grand Forks have been listed in the National Register of Historic Places. The National Register of Historic Places is the federal government’s list of properties it considers worthy of preservation and recognition.

The Creaser Building on the corner of Main Street and Broadway in Williston has been nominated for its architecture. Built in 1916, this striking early commercial brick building has distinct cream and red brick bands running horizontally along both street sides. It also has pilasters separating bays and diagonal blond brick centered near the top of each bay. The building’s early long-time tenants were Creaser Drug, J.B. Lyon’s Women’s Wear Exterior, and the Colonial Shop.

St. Michael’s Parochial School in Grand Forks was built in three sections as the needs of the school and of the local community changed. The original 1916 school was designed by William J. Edwards and built by the Dinnie Brothers, and the 1949 Youth Center and the 1953 addition that connected the Youth Center to the school were designed by Ursa Louis Freed. This school complex tells the story of parochial education and shows the transition from early 20th century school architecture to mid-century modernist architecture.

Contrary to some misconceptions about the National Register program, listing in it does not prevent owners from altering their property, restrict the use or sale of the property, or require establishing times that the property must be open to the public. Entry into the National Register of Historic Places does give a property prestige, provides protection from adverse effects in federally assisted projects, and provides eligibility for certain preservation financial incentives.

For more information about the National Register program in North Dakota, contact Architectural Historian Lorna Meidinger, State Historical Society of North Dakota, at 701.328.2089 or find information online at history.nd.gov/nationalregister.

 

Reader Comments
(0)

 
 

Powered by ROAR Online Publication Software from Lions Light Corporation
© Copyright 2018

Rendered 09/20/2018 18:33