License Required For Sale Of Food Products


Whether you are selling cakes, burritos, or fresh farm produce, a license, permit or registration may be required.

There are several types of licenses available for food producers. A person interested in selling fresh, raw farm products at a farmer’s market venue is required to register with the Richland County Sanitarian. In general, allowable food products at a farmer’s market include baked goods, fruit jams and jellies, and raw agricultural products, such as fresh fruits and vegetables.

A person interested in selling baked goods from home may be approved to obtain a cottage food license. The cottage food license is a one-time, low-cost license which allows a producer to prepare certain products, such as cakes, cookies, candies, and other low-risk foods, at home, and sell them directly to the consumer.

A full retail food license is issued to establishments like restaurants and concession trailers. The preparation or sale of high-risk products, such as meat- or dairy-containing products, outside of a licensed kitchen is prohibited. There are a number of important requirements for a kitchen to be licensed, including that the kitchen cannot be used as a home kitchen.

The requirements for licensing are set by the state of Montana, and are based on food safety science. If you would like more information on obtaining a license, permit or registration for the sale of food products, contact Stephanie Ler, Registered Sanitarian, at the Richland County Health Department at 406-433-2207.


Reader Comments(0)


Powered by ROAR Online Publication Software from Lions Light Corporation
© Copyright 2020

Rendered 01/13/2021 22:57