Women Invited to Hike the Maah Daah Hey Trail Sept. 8-9
August 1, 2018 | View PDF
The Department has openings for Hike the Maah Daah Hey Trail, an educational event for women scheduled Sept. 8-9.
Women interested in attending the workshop must enroll by contacting Brian Schaffer at 701-328-6312, or email [email protected]
Participants will hike a 16-mile portion of the newest stretch of the Maah Daah Hey Trail south of Medora from Burning Coal Vein to Tom’s Wash. The Maah Daah Hey Trail offers unparalleled views of the Badlands in North Dakota.
Activity level for this hike is STRENUOUS, due to the rough terrain of the badlands and we will be walking up and down hills.
Cost per participant is $30; which includes shuttling and group gear. Each participant must provide their own personal gear (sleeping bag, hiking boots, backpack, etc.) and should pack their own clothes, toiletries. Each participant will be responsible for their own meals during this over-nighter. Plan for a lunch, supper and breakfast and don’t forget snacks for the trail each day. A more detailed packing list will be provided upon receipt of registration.
Come along to hone your existing hiking skills and learn new skills from fellow hikers, while experiencing one of North Dakota’s pre-eminent hiking destinations. Participants will spend the cooler part of the day hiking to the next campsite, where they will learn camp set-up, cooking and other backpacking tips and tricks.
Friday, September 7, 2018
- NDGF Staff will arrive at Burning Coal Vein Campground. You are welcome to come stay the night with us.
- No activities or meals are planned.
Saturday, September 8, 2018 – 9 a.m. MST
- Check-in: gear check and trip orientation @ Tom’s Wash trailhead (22 miles south of Medora on East River Rd).
- Shuttle to Burning Coal Vein trailhead.
- Get started on the hike for the day. We will stop for lunch along the trail.
- Evening gathering for all participants.
Sunday, September 9, 2018 – 5 a.m. MST
- Camp tear-down.
- Breakfast on your own.
- Get started on the hike for the day.
- Arrive at Tom’s Wash. We will have lunch (included with registration) once we reach our ending point.
- Wrap up discussion on the trip and then you are free to go home!