The Roundup -

Be Prepared For Upcoming Tax Changes


November 7, 2018 | View PDF

Changes are coming to your federal and state taxes this year, and the Montana Department of Revenue wants all Montanans to understand what’s new and to find filing help if they need it.

“No one is thrilled to file their tax returns, but taxes are how we make sure Montana has the funds for schools, roads, law enforcement, and assistance for of our neighbors who need it,” said Gene Walborn, director of the Montana Department of Revenue. “It’s one of the ways we keep the Montana way of life a reality for all of us.”

For most Montanans, filing the state individual income tax return is quick and easy. Filing electronically is the fastest and most secure way to file a return and receive any refund that’s coming.

The department wants Montanans to be especially aware of a few items:

Montanans 62 and older: The Elderly Homeowner/Renter Credit is worth up to $1,000 for people age 62 and older who make less than $45,000 in gross household income and spent at least nine months of 2018 in Montana, including six months as a renter or owner. It’s available even to seniors who don’t have to file a return.

This year, the standalone paper form for that credit will not be available. Instead, seniors can claim it on the main form for most taxpayers, called Form 2. Those who don’t have to file a return at all can claim the credit through the secure TransAction Portal on the department’s website,

First-time Montana filers: For people filing a Montana state income tax return for the first time, the department has one piece of important advice: If you change your address after filing, make sure you keep it up to date with the department. Otherwise, you could face a delay in getting your money.

That’s because security and anti-fraud measures mean first-time filers will only receive refunds on paper checks – not by direct deposit. The Post Office will not forward refund checks.

So, those filing a Montana return for the first time in 2019 – including some college and high school students, or new residents – need to update their mailing address with the department, online or just by calling 406-444-6900.

Every year, thousands of refund checks are returned to the state because people have moved without updating the department.

The department also reminds all Montanans that help is available, and it’s free for many taxpayers. Check or call 406-444-6900 for information.

Montana individual income tax returns are due April 15, 2019.


Reader Comments


Powered by ROAR Online Publication Software from Lions Light Corporation
© Copyright 2020

Rendered 08/05/2020 07:25