Larry Lester Bieber, 86, Fairview, MT

Funeral services for Larry Lester Bieber, 86, Fairview, MT, will be Wednesday Aug. 23, 2023 at 10 a.m. at Trinity Lutheran Church, Sidney, MT, with Pastor John Baseley officiating. A luncheon will follow the service before Larry will be laid to rest at the Fairview Cemetery, Fairview, ND. Visitation was held Tuesday, Aug. 22, 2023 from 10 a.m-5 p.m at Fulkerson-Stevenson Memorial Chapel, Sidney, MT. Fulkerson-Stevenson Funeral Home, Sidney, MT, is assisting the family. Remembrances, condolences, and pictures may be shared with the family at

Larry Bieber passed away on Wednesday Aug. 16, 2023 at the Sidney Health Center with family by his side.

Larry Lester Bieber was born at home in Fairview, MT, on Dec. 8, 1936, to George and Alvina (Klein) Bieber. He and his four brothers were raised in Fairview. Larry attended Nohle and Central schools. At the age of 16 he left school to go to work. He completed an electrical course through a trade school in 1968. He also went on to get his GED in 1972.

Larry married Carol Lueck from Sidney, MT, in May of 1957. They were married for 53 years and raised three children. They were all members of St. John's Lutheran Church. Their family grew to include six grandchildren and five great-grandchildren.

Through the years, Larry farmed, worked on the construction of the Nelson Memorial Bridge, and worked on the Badlands Highway. He also worked for the Knife River Coal Company. He worked with engineers, reading blueprints, and inspections on the construction of the MDU plant in Sidney. Larry also raised sheep for a time with his father-in-law.

Larry started working for Farmer's Union in Sidney and Fairview; delivering fuel, installing furnaces, and whatever else they may have needed. The family moved to Hardin, MT, where Larry ran the Farmer's Union propane plant. The company then sent him to Broadview, MT, to manage the station there. One more move with the company took him to Billings, MT, where he was office manager at the station. Much experience was gained by these jobs, but the pull to return to Fairview was strong, so in 1974 one more move was made: back home to Fairview. That is where the moves ended and there were never any regrets about coming back to stay.

Larry became a master electrician in Montana and North Dakota and started his own business, "Larry's Service and Repair." This began a long career and fulfilled his dream of doing something he had always wanted: to become an electrician. He did a lot of residential and commercial work. Larry, AKA "Sparky", also did a lot of work for Holly Sugar on the pilers and pile grounds.

Larry served in the National Guard, on the Fairview City Council for four years, Fairview Fire Department for 13 years (three of those as Fire Chief from 1987-1990), and various other boards such as the airport board, Church council, and the Senior Housing Board.

He was always ready to help anyone that needed it, whether it be an electrical issue, plumbing and heating, or a question about an old tractor – another one of his pastimes. He enjoyed restoring old tractors and going to tractor shows. For many years, he would take one of his old tractors to the fair. He was always tinkering with old machinery. He built a snow plow out of an old swather (which he still has) and named it the Whatchamacallit. He built a two-seater horseless carriage which many saw him puttsing around town in.

Larry loved traveling around the country and Canada in his Airstream motor home which is now in Vess Hurley's shop. He and Carol traveled many miles in it.

Larry has always been the man that never met a stranger. He could strike up a conversation with anyone about anything. Through the years, he also found out that he'd never met a fishing trip he didn't like! Fishing was one of his favorite hobbies.

Back in July of 2003, Larry drove himself to the hospital with severe back pain and generally not feeling well. He walked into Dr. Pierce's office, and they said it would be a while. He said, "well you'd better hurry up" and collapsed of cardiac arrest. Dr. Pierce resuscitated him, and they rushed him into surgery for a ruptured aorta - called the widow maker as most people don't survive. Dr. Bergin and the hands of God saved his life. He would always ask people if they'd heard of this operation, and then, of course tell them about it. He went on a cruise to Alaska and when he got back told people he had to go all the way to Alaska to find a guy that didn't know about it.

Larry worked very hard all his life but would always find time for friends and most of all, his family. When he was working, by God, at 9 a.m. and 3 p.m. you had to be in town for coffee. He looked forward to meeting the coffee guys at the Hotel Albert and various other locations they ended up at, to see how much rain everyone got and catch up on the local gossip.

From his kids and their families: We want to say we are so proud to call you: Dad, Grandpa, Big Pa, Papa, Poppy, Great Papa, Father-In-Law, and Mentor.

Larry is survived by his children Debbie (Mike) Moore, Laurie Cline, and Brian Bieber; siblings Harlow (Annabelle) and James (Linda); sisters-in-law Sammy and Arlene; grandchildren Andi, Chris, Keith, LaShell, Daniel, and Tori; and great-grandchildren Everly, Camden, Issac, Conner, and Oliva.

He was preceded in death by his parents George and Alvina; wife Carol Bieber; and brothers Ervin and Robert.


Reader Comments(0)